Friday, April 13, 2007

Week 9: Online Social Networks

Activity 1:

I’m starting to like Facebook. Everyone seems to be on it, so I think it was about time I signed up. Setting up the account was straightforward, although it took me a few minutes to figure out the network system. The Facebook interface is pleasant to the eye, and the various features seem to work well (“the wall”, sending messages, etc.). I’ve joined the Learning 2.0 @ Mac group and edited my profile to include things like musical and film interests. I’ve also added a picture as an avatar. It’s not a picture of me, however. I’m going against the grain. I’ve got some friends on Facebook now and have talked to a few old friends that are on Facebook that I haven’t spoken to in years. All in all, a fun and fairly addictive 2.0 activity!

Activity 2:

I've never really liked MySpace. I find most of the web pages people choose to use to be horrendously ugly. And there's also the fact that one's ears are often bombarded with a super lame Top 40 mp3 song that plays automatically. I do not see much of a future for MySpace. In fact, I think Facebook will eventually become the "go-to" social networking site. MySpace is more for the older set, I think, while Facebook is for younger folks. Rupert Murdoch bet on the wrong horse! Hahahaha.

LinkedIn is a neat idea. It seems to work well and looks OK, but again, I'm wondering if Facebook already does what LinkedIn is trying to do.

No comments: