Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Week 10: Gaming & Virtual Environments

Activity 1:

Some games I checked out:

Zuma:

A pop-up game that's quite addictive! Requires good hand-eye coordination. The game's interface is pleasant looking to the eye, too.

Line Rider:

Ride the lines! This game is great! Draw lines on the screen and watch the little line rider dude fly around!

Blackjack (via Yahoo! Games):

I played some Blackjack and lost about $100 fantasy dollars. This games was fun, but a little slow loading.

Virtual worlds:

Finally, I was able to attend one of the gaming sessions which covered WoW and Second Life. The presenters did a great job of showing the group what these games are capable of. If I don't start to play these specific games, I am definitely going to play a game soon, perhaps something like Civilization IV. Thanks to all for getting me interested in gaming again!

Activity 2:

Games and virtual worlds are exciting! I think that they have the potential to increase a library's visibility within its community, and are also a good way to get people come to the library. Games and virtual worlds, if well-designed, can be great learning and educational tools because they involve things like reading, problem solving, coordination, and social interaction. I also think games and virtual worlds can be excellent ways for one to learn new technology skills (programming, Java, etc.) that can help in other work-related tasks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad we could re-pique your interest in gaming again. :) As you know, I'm pretty much a gaming addic--err, fanatic. Heh.

Let me know how CivIV turns out... I played the OLD-OLD-OLD Civilizations game back in high school (it was our guilty little pleasure we hid from the computer teacher) back on the DOS machines, so I'd be interested to hear all about the new one.

Despite all my love for internet gaming, I do still enjoy the solo gaming. Resident Evil, American McGee's Alice, DiabloII and NeverWinter Nights are personal faves of mine, but Zuma is an addiction. I actually PAID for a registered copy and have beaten the game again and again.

Hmmm... now I think I need to reinstall it and play it again. I'm kind of craving a little bit of mindless gaming... Heh.

- Kel